Re: Hard/Soft 'G' in GIF

Subject: Re: Hard/Soft 'G' in GIF
From: Jerry Kindall <kindall -at- MANUAL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 01:59:33 -0500

Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM> wrote:

>I'd have to say that the soft-G pronunciation doesn't come up often except
>from inexperienced (in terms of the web) users. Everyone at my company uses
>the hard-G pronunciation, and sometimes they spell it out when necessary
>(that is, the person on the other end of the conversation says, "Huh, what's
>a 'GIF'?").

According to CompuServe, who invented the format, GIF is pronounced with
a soft "G" sound.

According to me, who has to say "GIF" a lot, this sounds idiotic.
Therefore, I pronounce it with a hard "G." Which inevitably leads people
who know CompuServe's preferred pronunciation to "correct" me.

Soon I will begin pronouncing it as "ping."

--
Jerry Kindall <kindall -at- manual -dot- com>
Manual Labor <http://www.manual.com/>

Technical Writing; Internet & WWW Consulting