Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: Rebecca Phillips <Rebecca -at- QRONUS -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 09:18:09 +0200

>> What do you, Melissa (or any of you), look for when someone
>> submits samples, that lets you know whether or not they are worth
>> interviewing? What impresses you? What guarantees a call from you?

In this area of the world, it is unusual to ask for writing samples in
advance, and most people come to interviews without a portfolio.
However, if an employer is interested, they usually ask you to send a
writing sample after the first interview. When I hired, I looked for the
basics in a writing sample. You would be surprised how many writing
samples clearly emphasize a candidate's inability to express himself in
writing. I don't really care if the writing sample is irrelevant to my
product. I just care that it is neat, consistent and well-written. I
count on the interview to determine if the candidate has the smarts and
background to handle the specific job requirements.

Rebecca

Rebecca M. Phillips
Documentation Manager
Qronus Interactive Ltd.