Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: byfield -at- DIRECT -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:57:22 -0800

Krista van Laan <vanlaan -at- BILBO -dot- NTC -dot- NOKIA -dot- COM> wrote:

>Even if you have signed a nondisclosure agreement, does that still
>apply to manuals that have been published and are for sale to the
>customer through the customer service center? What about published
>manuals that were written for products that are out of date? I show these
>kinds of samples all the time and have never even dreamed there
>would be a problem with something like that.

In my present contract, I have a clause saying that I can use samples
of the work I do in my portfolio, so long as the samples don't include
internal documents, such as style sheets and programming specs.

Probably, I was being over-cautious, since I doubt that anyone would
object to the showing of published manuals. However, the work I'm doing
belongs to the company, so technically I do need the permission. By
getting it into the agreement, I keep everything courteous and honest at
the same time that I get the samples that (at this early stage of my
career) I badly need.

Bruce Byfield (byfield -at- direct -dot- ca)
Burnaby, BC, Canada
(604) 421-7189