Re: Agency and interviewing questions

Subject: Re: Agency and interviewing questions
From: AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 20:58:35 -0500

Nancy writes the following in answer to Melissa's question about writers
supplying samples of their writing:

"Your question is not unusual; it may, however, be unreasonable. Most people
who come through agencies have worked in many environments, each one of
which has had them sign a confidentiality agreement. We contractors could
go to jail bigtime -- lotsa years -- and/or face massive fines if we
violate those agreements; we're also looking at a credibility issue as to
whether we share other people's property (documentation) with a potential
competitor. Therefore, any documentation done on the job is usually
unavailable for the interview process?"

I believe that one page, maybe two, carefully selected from my clients'
manuals to show various layout or tabulating techniques help potential
clients know how I handle material. When giving them these samples, I tell
them that my clients' work is all company confidential, but these samples are
not of critical material. I also bring several complete manuals to show, but
never allow them to leave my sight.

This careful and considered handling of samples has caused no criticism or
question over the years, and may work for other contractors, as well.

Ann Mackenzie
Technical Documentation, Inc.