Word autonumbering in RTF

Subject: Word autonumbering in RTF
From: David Green <daveg -at- UK -dot- GDSCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:43:19 +0000

Hi,

I'm getting strange things happening with numbered
paragraphs in Word 7.0.

I use several numbered paragraphs in my (RTF) file to
explain steps in certain procedures. (I then compile the
RTF into HLP files.) These paragraphs have a style I've
defined to have autonumbering turned on. Everything
works fine when I type new paragraphs; each paragraph is
numbered, and an Enter press creates the next
numbered paragraph.

When I save, close and reopen the file, my list has grown
spurious additional numbered (but empty) paragraphs.
The spurious paragraphs have the same style name as my
original, and are inserted before each of my legitimate
paragraphs. Each has a 0 or 1 as its autonumber. The
number sequence in the entire list becomes a series of 0s
and 1s, with empty lines everywhere.

If I save and reopen again, new numbers grow from nowhere!

Any ideas? I'd prefer not to need to insert all paragraph
numbering manually. Has it got anything to do with RTF and
Word?

Many thanks in advance.

David Green.

(Technical Writer, Graphic Data Systems Ltd, Cambridge,
England)