Style question

Subject: Style question
From: Dolores Gardner <dolores_gardner -at- QR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 07:56:41 -0500

Mornin' y'all

Having just received comments to my draft user's manual from the customer and reviewed them last night, I found a nasty note about the following and thought I'd check with y'all for input.

the application has 5 main modules which have a tab setup once you enter a module. some modules have many tabs, some a few. during the writing of the document, i chose to add a 5th level heading directly before a figure containing a screen cap of the tab and the beginnings of an explanatory paragraph after the figure. now this is a DRAFT submittal, according to our contractual requirements, it certainly isn't the finished product by a long shot, but i don't think our customer understands the term draft as it applies to documentation, beer maybe, but not documentation.

so all my fellow esteemed tech writers, is there a rule in a style guide or some unwritten rule that proclaims it is verbotten to have a figure directly follow a section heading?

[personally i think this little twit needs to get a life after reading thru all the comments to the DRAFT we submitted, but that's just mho. i would prefer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.]

the lone tech writer for her company stuck on the program from hell with the customer from hell, and many of the customer don't understand the functionality of the application so they like to pick apart the wording of documents and the GUI and totally drive the contractor insane.