Certification/Degrees

Subject: Certification/Degrees
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:13:34 -0800

Fellow TECHWR-Lers:

I used to be a strong advocate for certification of
technical communicators. Degrees don't mean much to me.
A person's ability to the required job is what counts.
And I thought some kind of formalized qualifying system
might be helpful.

Now that I've reached a decade in the business, I've
done a one-eighty on the certification issue. I have
worked hard to build a good reputation, technical skills,
and professional contacts. In other words, I've got mine.
Certification now looks to me like a crutch or shortcut
for people to avoid the kind of effort I've made.

Funny how experience sheds a new perspective. ;-)

Happy Holidays.

-Mike
--

Michael Andrew Uhl, Lead Technical Writer (uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin, Primary Support Contractor to US EPA