Sense of Humor Testing: An Example of an Efficient and Polite Response.

Subject: Sense of Humor Testing: An Example of an Efficient and Polite Response.
From: Mike Dean <mikedean -at- INTNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 19:23:05 -0500

An apology is extended to all you were unable to vent their frustrations
on me for the improper posting. Please direct any further remarks,
pleasant or otherwise, directly to me.

I joined this list on November 22md.

The "You are now subscribed to the TECHWR-L list" is very lengthy, and
was read in its entirety, (and read again today). It does not mention
the existence of the "Posting Guidelines" nor does it contain them. Per
the Archives, The posting guidelines have been posted one time since
then. Since the heading was related to the Virus Hoax, it was deleted
without being read. Yes, it has been read now.

Found in the "posting guidelines" immediately PRECEDING the passage
quoted by Mr. Arrant.

"* If it continues an irrelevant thread in any way
(rebuttal, rebuke, rerun, revision, remark), don't
post it."

The following is an example of a reasonable and humane way to handle
this type of posting in the future. Save the below text and keep it
handy. Post PRIVATELY to anyone who you feel needs it.

The posting guidelines may be found at:

http://www.documentation.com/techwrit/techwrit-l.htm

Search for "posting guidelines"

If I appear to sound overconfident in this responce, or if anything
above (or below) offends you, feel free to write me directly.

For those of you who do have a sense of humor, and responded in kind,
you may recieve similiar items mailed to you privately. If you do not
wish to have this happen, notify me (privately).

Thank you for the Warm Welcome. My father, a retired Technical Writer
notes that little has changed.
--
Mike Dean
mikedean -at- intnet -dot- net