Back to the topic

Subject: Back to the topic
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 07:08:48 PST

Gang,

I don't think that slamming our colleagues repeatedly
and publicly is doing anyone any good. Perhaps a little
discretion before posting would be advisable? Additionally,
if the holiday season stress is getting to you, I'd
personally recommend not clicking the SEND button until
you've let the message sit for 24 hours. It might help.

As always, please check out the posting guidelines
if you're not sure. Based on a quick survey of the past
24 to 48 hours on the list, I'd say that re-reading
the enclosed guidelines wouldn't hurt anyone.

Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

WHAT TO POST
* If it is about technical communication and of general
interest, post it.
* If it is about technical communication and original and
humorous, post it.

WHAT NOT TO POST
* If it doesn't relate to technical communication,
don't post it.
* If it is a personal message to a single subscriber,
don't post it. Even if mail to that person bounces.
* If you aren't sure, don't post it.
* If it relates to language use but not technical
communication, it probably isn't appropriate.
Don't post it.
* If it continues an irrelevant thread in any way
(rebuttal, rebuke, rerun, revision, remark), don't
post it.
* If it is something cute, interesting, or funny that
you found on the Internet (e.g. Dr. Seuss on Tech
Writing, origin of spam), don't post it. I assure
you that most readers have seen it already.

OTHER
* Please make sure your E-mail address is included in
the body of the message you post to the list.
* Please don't inflict LONG ads disguised as signatures
on the rest of us. Trust me, they're not effective at
anything except making you look silly.
* Please don't quote extensively/excessively from other
messages. Just include enough to provide context.
* This list is international. Please don't flame anyone
for using British spelling or conventions.
* Please check your facts on anything you post.
* Direct all commentary about this message to my
address, not the list.

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com