Re: Ebonics

Subject: Re: Ebonics
From: Deborah Meltzer <deborah -at- STARQUEST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 11:52:43 PST

I have to remind you that the British often shudder at the corruption of our
American "bad" English. But because we are AMERICAN (another example of
"bad" use of English - actually, we are the U.S.A.) our English is "good."
Did you ever wonder why Tammy was a secretary and not rich herself? This
issue IS about teaching "good typing" to students, but "good typing" will
never be enough if attitudes such as this do not "move on." If diversity is
considered "bad," we will be hard pressed to save this culture from falling
into a bottomless pit of banality. This IS the nineties; have we learned
anything?
"It don't benefit nobody?" Speak for yourself. Personally I enjoy the nuance
of African American English; it adds richness and humor to a very flat,
non-whimsical use of the language, and frankly I shudder to imagine all of
us speaking "good" (U.S.A.) English to each other at all times.

Deborah Meltzer
StarQuest Software, Inc.
email: deborah -at- starquest -dot- com
voice: 510/704-2554