To document Windows functions or not?

Subject: To document Windows functions or not?
From: Alisa Dean <Alisa -dot- Dean -at- MCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 12:21:00 -0700

On Dec. 16, Linda Castellani wrote:

>I am lately taking the position of documenting only what is
>unique about the client's software, and letting Windows' online help
>answer questions about standard Windows functions. (snip)

I disagree. Many times it is not immediately apparent where the client's
software ends and Windows begins. Also, I have documented Windows
applications where the Windows standard functions were "customized"
for the specific software.

Again, if it is displayed in the application window, it should be at
least mentioned in the documentation.

Alisa Dean
Sr. Technical Writer
alisa -dot- dean -at- mci -dot- com