Re: anybody write scripts?

Subject: Re: anybody write scripts?
From: Daniel P Read <danielread -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 13:36:58 EST

>>New client (ad agency with client); wants a script for a recruiting
video,
>>about 10 minutes long; brainstorming session today went well; wants me
>>produce script, meet with clients for their ideas, give input towards
>>production of tape.

>>How much to charge, Great Ones? Locale is Arkansas. (This will be my
first
>>video script.)

For what it's worth:

According to Robert Bly's _Secrets Of A Freelance Writer_ (copyright
1988) the range is $100-$300 per minute, but he elaborates...

"Fees for writing audio-visual scripts vary widely. Some writers price
by the project; others by the minute.

"My own fee is $150 per minute, with a $1000 minimum. This is on the low
side of average. I'll typically charge $1500 for a 10-minute slide
presentation, and $3000 or so for a 20-25-minute industrial film.

"When I published this fee schedule in _Writer's Digest_ a
California-based writer wrote back and said, 'I charge two to three times
what Mr. Bly does.' But she also explained that she was involved heavily
in the conception and production of the film, and her fee included
numerous rewrites, consultations, and meetings with the client.
Typically, she said, doing a single industrial film would involve a month
of her time.

"My fee includes script copy only, and with the entire assignment handled
by phone and mail. Anything additional, such as meetings and liason with
A/V producers, costs extra."

Hope this helps, even though it's a little out of date.

Daniel Read
danielread -at- juno -dot- com