Re: Checking the checkers through inaccurate information

Subject: Re: Checking the checkers through inaccurate information
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- HOUSTON -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:20:53 -0600

Carl Millholland wrote:

> convention
> parameter_ICCrd structure member to set:
> 0x00 = direct convention
> 0x01 = inverse convention
> 0x02 = Shriner's convention

<snip>
> I have a couple of questions about this technique:
>
> 1. Would you consider this unethical or underhanded? (I have a pretty
> good reputation with these people for a solid final product, so I
> have a little more leeway here. I'd *never* try this with a new
> client.)

While it might be amusing to you, it could be risky. If it slipped
through the cracks and made it into the published version, your "pretty
good reputation" could fly right out the window if your client gets a
call from a customer who doesn't find it so amusing. There are also
internal considerations. While I know nothing of the political structure
of your client's company, I've been in situations where company
higher-ups (e.g., the reviewers' bosses) would have hit the roof if they
heard of such a thing.

So to answer your question, I don't find this technique unethical or
underhanded, just a bit unprofessional. Sorry, that's my frank opinion.
If I were you, I'd look for other ways to encourage thorough reviews.

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor Phone: (713) 513-2552
Technical Writer, Software Training Fax: (713) 513-2019