Re: writers to programmers ratio

Subject: Re: writers to programmers ratio
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:25:36 -0500

At 08:36 AM 1/14/97 +0200, amram <hakohen -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL> wrote:
>What is the optimal ratio of TWs to engineering staff?
>There's a firm interested in my services, that currently
>has not TWs on staff. They number about 20 all together.
>My guess is that 60% of them are programmers. The product
>(a rather complex tool for internet programming)
>is due to be released in six months. No real documentation
>exists. I suggested that they hire two TWs (me and my buddy).
>They responded, "uh, don't think so...too much money. How
>'bout just you?"
>
>Is this a recipie for disaster or what?
>
>My instincts say, jog away from this one, 'casue these guys
>don't have a clue vis-a-vis the doc. process. I would like to
>cite to the head honcho of this outfit, some official-type
>stats re writers to programmers. Any ideas? A search of
>Michael Krigman's database yielded nothing.

I'm freelance tech writer. My major client is a process control
engineering firm. They develop, install, and maintain computerized
optimization and control systems for refineries and chemical plants.

There are 22 engineers and programmers on staff, and me on contract as the
lone writer. Together we produce software manuals, training materials, and
LARGE (500-1000 pages) engineering project reports.

While the workload occasionally exceeds 40 hours a week, it certainly hasn't
required a second writer.

YMMV.

Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor