Re: Titles vs. Duties

Subject: Re: Titles vs. Duties
From: Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 13:38:23 -0500

We've been discussing what's the difference between a Technical Writer and
a Technical Editor:

During my first annual performance review, I asked to have my title changed
from Technical Editor to Technical Writer/Editor to better reflect the
range of my work. Also, I throught this would be a good strategy come
salary-setting time, as writers are listed in many surveys as higher paid
than mere editors. The title change was approved by my supervisor, but when
she asked for an ok from our department head, he told her no because
changing my title to include writer would drop me to a lower grade! Go
figure.

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(713)275-7563, fax -8545