Getting a foot in the door.

Subject: Getting a foot in the door.
From: Kata Koppel <kkoppel -at- INDIANA -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 01:34:22 -0500

Hello,

I've been lurking on the list for a few days trying to a get a feel for
things. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I'm going to be graduating in May with a degree in Political Science,
however the bulk of my work experience has been with computers. In my
current job we do a lot of HTML editing and some technical
editing/writing (it's for an on-line question and answer database). I'm
thinking that with my background I'd like to work
in the technical writing field, seeing as I have quite a bit of writing
background (at least academically) and a fairly varied bit of computing
experience. I've been checking job postings on the Web and I've noticed
that the bulk of them either want a specific degree in Tech Writing or
CS. I have neither, nor do I have any tech writing specific coursework.

Is it possible to find a job as a technical writer (or something related)
under these circumstances? I've had a REALLY difficult time deciding
what I would like to do with the next few years of my life since my
degree area and my area of "expertise" are quite different. Perhaps I
might be better off in another field?

Any suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Kata Koppel

--
Kata Koppel ** Indiana University '97 ** kkoppel -at- indiana -dot- edu
"I always wanted to be commander in chief of my one woman army..." >> Ani