Re: A Sticky Situation

Subject: Re: A Sticky Situation
From: Matthew Stern <MAStern -at- PLATSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:58:00 -0800

Regarding Stephen Arrants' sticky situation:

>A neighbor, Jean, who is also a technical writer, came to me with a
>problem.
<snip>
>Recently, the company hired another writer, at a salary Jean says is 15%
>above hers. The new writer has six months experience (compared to Jean's
>five years) and has never worked on a complete project (from start to
>ship).
<snip>
>Can you give any other advice?

Have her update her resume in case she doesn't get what she feels she
deserves.

And if she does have to look for a new job, have her look for a company
that has clear job grades (associate, intermediate, and senior) and
salary ranges for technical writers. The company should also have a
clear career path so that writers can advance to the next level. If her
current employer had this, she (and they) would not be in this
situation.

Hope this helps.
Matthew Stern
Sr. Technical Writer