Re: military time terminology -Reply

Subject: Re: military time terminology -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:39:53 -0800

>Q: Does "Alpha" means one time ahead of "Zulu" or just that it is
local time?--Lars Helge Semb

A: My guess is that you in Norway are one time zone east of
Greenwich, England. [OK, it's not a guess anymore -- I just confirmed
it with a fellow worker who comes from Finland.] To correct what Arlen
said, Zulu time is universal or local Greenwich time; local times
around the globe apparently (as far as I know) are identified by
alpha, bravo, charlie and so on. This could be an American military
convention adopted by NATO forces; I don't see it in my dictionaries.
When I served in the U.S. Army in the eastern U.S., we identified
local time as Sierra time. For certain things, such as military
operations, we also kept track of Zulu time for uniformity, because
in something like a theater of military operations you could have
planes, ships, and even soldiers in different local time zones. If
you wanted to schedule a military operation and wanted to order
several disparate units to the same place at the same time, you would
tell them to get there at 1000 Zulu, even though that might be several
hours off the local time.

Have fun, as Arlen likes to say <g>.