Task-oriented documentation research?

Subject: Task-oriented documentation research?
From: dan roberts <dan_roberts -at- IBI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:23:43 EDT

My doc group is proposing a bit of a major change for the
communication/db-access servers we document.

Previously, *all* information was in 1 document - installation,
configuration, daily console operations, environment administration.
Everyone who had anything to do with the server had to use this one
manual.

We have a proposal to the developers to break this 1 document into
severall documents - Install/config, Console operations,
Administration. With this approach, we think that information might be
to the folks that need it easier, w/o being encumbered by un-necessary
information <ie, the network admin can use it w/o slogging thru a wad
of install stuff>.

We are meeting some resistance from some of our fellow writers and
from some of the developers (mainly the old-line mainframe types). Can
anyone point me to research or articles discussing task-oriented
documentation and the advantages of this method of approaching
documents?

Reply to dan_roberts -at- ibi -dot- com privately, and I'll summarize for the
list, if there is enough interest.

Thanks!