Re: Printing HTML Source

Subject: Re: Printing HTML Source
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:01:00 -0600

Besides this feature and the fact that it is free, IE supports ActiveX
as well as Java, supports Cascading Style Sheets, and in version 3.01
includes a task bar button that launches the source code in Word for
editing (and BTW, Word 97, which I just installed, has some pretty
decent HTML editing tools).

We interrupt this MS infomercial to point out that while MS "supports" Java,
there appear to be some differences between the MS Java Virtual Machine and
the official Java VM from Sun and JavaSoft. The complete effects of these
differences haven't been mapped out yet, but InfoWorld (and some other trade
mags) reported that some Java applets will not execute properly on a MS-
supplied VM.

As in the past, MS intends to use not Java, but its own peculiar version of
Java. This tactic is known by the euphemism of "embrace and extend." Its
hallmark is a desire to cause enough small but very annoying problems to
anyone not using their products, or trying to use a mix of MS and non-MS
products, that they give up and run only MS products.

So, as long as you're aware of the potential problems caused by incomplete
compliance with open standards, use whichever browser you feel like using.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

While I also use Netscape Navigator occasionally (especially to check how
my pages display with the current marketshare leader), these are some of
the reasons that IE is my browser of choice.

--George Hayhoe (gfhayhoe -at- scescape -dot- net)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: 803-642-2156
Fax: 803-642-9325
http://www.scescape.net/~gfhayhoe/index.htm