Tech Writing acronyms, intialisms, abbreviations

Subject: Tech Writing acronyms, intialisms, abbreviations
From: "LOWERY, MELISSA" <MLOWERY -at- SCANA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:24:32 -0500

It's me again, your friendly neighborhood resource compiler coming to
you with another set of requests. I have decided to add to my resource
collection a definition list for common abbreviations, acronyms, and
initialisms that we encounter in our daily tech writing practice but
that newbies might not know and are too embarrassed to ask about. I'll
admit that it took me months to figure out SME (I got the general idea,
but I wasn't sure what exactly it stood for!). Could you kind souls send
me any more such beasts to add to my list. If you have one that you took
forever to figure out, send it immediately! (I promise not to laugh and
post it all over USENET saying what an idiot you are.)

Here are a few I thought up off the top of my head:
SME, RTFM, TW, DTP, STC, C/S, IM, SIGDOC, ... you get the idea

Thanks again, as always.

Melissa
mlowery -at- scana -dot- com