Need Applix information

Subject: Need Applix information
From: Anne Chenette <anne -at- XOX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:35:38 -0600

Had anyone used Applixware and/or Applix Word to create manuals?
Especially large documents with many files/chapters, mathematical
equations and figures, and lots of cross-referencing?

I am the only (first!) technical writer for a small software
company that is currently using LaTex and MS Word for their
documents. I get to pick the word processor I'll use. I'm
recommending a switch to FrameMaker, but the expense (for the
UNIX version) is making us cringe a little.

We have a copy of ApplixWare on a PC running Linux, and the
sysadmin is encouraging me to check it out. He says that
the filtering capabiliities are very good. This is an important
feature, because we need to filter MS WORD/RTF, HTML, ASCII, and
LaTeX documents in and out of whatever word processor I choose.

However, my first impression is that Applix is a general-purpose
office tool, and that it wasn't designed for large manuals or
significant editing tasks. But I could be wrong; I haven't
done anything in Applix yet.

I would welcome any advice or stories of your experiences
with ApplixWare.
Many thanks,
Anne

Anne Chenette Senior Technical Writer XOX Corporation
anne -at- xox -dot- com 1450 Energy Park Drive
http://www.wavefront.com/~anne/ St. Paul, MN 55108

The Web Server Handbook: http://www.prenhall.com/~palmer/