Online vs Hardcopy

Subject: Online vs Hardcopy
From: Tom Obenchain <Tom -dot- Obenchain -at- MCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 07:54:00 -0700

Several years ago I bought a book entitled "Designing & Writing Online
Documentation," by William Horton. I was very pleased with the information
it contained. Bill Horton is a prominent consultant and lecturer in
the fields of technical communications, including online docs and visual
communication.

The book doesn't actually compare hardcopy and online docs. It does,
however, discuss in detail what makes a good online doc. There are
plenty of resources already published concerning hardcopy.

My edition of the book was published by John Wiley & Sons and cost
about $30.00. That was about three years ago.

There is a review of this book on the Web. I have not read it yet, as the
server was down this morning. I include the URL here for convenience.

http://www.nmt.edu/~swhitlat/review-horton.html

Hmmm. . . I wonder if this reviewer is as positive as I am about the
book. I'll have to check later on.

Good luck,

Tom Obenchain

Tom Obenchain
Technical Communications Lead
MCI Telecommunications
Tom -dot- Obenchain -at- mci -dot- com
"No plan survives contact with the enemy."