Re: Chet's Comments on Document Database

Subject: Re: Chet's Comments on Document Database
From: John Fisher <fisher -at- EPIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:36:55 -0800

Ray Fernandez wrote:

<snip>
> ... Instead of
> asking about information management, they (the powers that be) ask about
> tools (i.e., what word processor or page layout program to use). Is this
> a common problem in corporate America?

> Ray

Ray,

IMHO, this is a common problem period, not just in corporate America.
It seems to me that we (myself very much included) all too often tend
to jump to a solution before we've really defined the problem. The example
you give ("...what word processor or page layout program to use...") seems
to do just that. Often the problem is stated with a partial solution included
in the definition.

For instance, asking, "What authoring tool should we use?" makes the assumption
that the problem is choosing an authoring tool, when it might well be, "In what
form do we deliver information to the end user?"

John Fisher

"But enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do *you* think of me?"
Bette Midler