Good web design

Subject: Good web design
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:53:47 -0600

Mike Markley proposed three criteria for good web pages
(easy to navigate, useful info, and tracking mechanisms),
and asked what he'd missed.

Mike, here are a few key points to me based on my own
experience with _using_ web pages:
- easy to navigate is useless if you don't get to where you
really wanted to go, and get there fast (i.e., watch for
misleading, if not outright wrong, links)
- the info. must not only be useful, but must be correct
- I want to spend more time reading and working with the
info. than I spend waiting for the graphics to download.
- on the other hand, I want to spend time because there's
lots to chew on, not because I can't understand the
writing.
- I want a map of where I am in the larger hierarchy of the
information (the "back" button and "go" menu on most
browsers is useless for this purpose)