Re: Re[2]: Careen Path

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Careen Path
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 12:45:28 -0800

How funny--this is exactly what I was talking about--20 or so posts ago.

There is such diversity in the field "technical writing" (also known as
technical communications) that even the same words and titles can mean
drastically different things to different people.

That's why it's important that--with this large group of people with
varying frames of reference--we try to learn about the way of the
techcomm world outside of our own experience.

So, Emily, here's something to write down on your career map. In some
cases "editor" may be a starting point, and in others a position to
aspire to. The trick is finding out which.

As an aside to this, I got a bunch of private posts on this topic. The
general message was basically that the best part about techcomm is not
as a stepping stone to other career paths (which I don't actually think
Emily was looking for) but as a wide open plain of opportunity. Gee--I
bet these are the people who, like me, couldn't settle on a major in
college because everything sounded so interesting.