Re: Documentation Tracking and Version Control Software

Subject: Re: Documentation Tracking and Version Control Software
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:56:37 -0800

At 01:11 PM 2/7/97 -0600, Julie Enders wrote:
>If you are currently using software to handle your documentation tracking and
>version control, I would be interested in your feedback on the following
>questions:
>
>What tool are you using?

StarTeam (by StarBase Corp, Irvine CA)

>What is the cost of the tool?

MSRP is about $250 a seat for the "regular" version. Web and server products
that facilitate remote access are more expensive, and unless you've
got special WAN or internet needs, you won't need them.

>How long have you been using the tool?

I helped to develop the tool when I worked at StarBase, so counting the
first alpah version, about 2.5 years. (And, no, I don't work there any
more and they don't owe me any money <g>!)

>Is the tool easy to implement and use?

Very. It's a Win 95-style GUI, usually installs without a hitch. It will
automatically create a project structure from your existing directories,
and you can even import existing PVCS projects.

>Are you satisfied with the tool? If not, are you looking at other tools? If so,
>which tools and why?
>
>If you are satisfied with the tool, please discuss the significant improvements
>this tool provides for documentation processes.

I'm very satisfied with the tool. It provides all the "usual" version
control features -- multiple versions, locking and unlocking to prevent
two people from working on the same file simultaneously or to prevent
someone from working on an out-of-date version, etc.

It also gives you history information, the ability to attach defect reports
at the project, subproject, or file level, password-protected access with
two levels of security, threaded conversations, audit trail, charts, reports...

And it'll handle any file you can store on Windows.

Susan W. Gallagher Manager, Technical Publications
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com Expersoft Corporation, San Diego CA
http://www.expersoft.com