Re: Click Language

Subject: Re: Click Language
From: "Fernandez, Ray" <AMS!SOLUSPONJ1!rfernand -at- ATTSOL1 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:15:00 +0000

Amy wrote:

>Hi folks --

>Many of my users are not computer or Windows-proficient. Hence, I
>substituted the phrase "click twice" for "double-click."

>Now I'm writing the style manual (after the fact of course -- no time to
do
>it while I was documenting the new product).

>Any visceral reactions one way or the other?

Hi Amy,

Usually I would agree with any simplification of a technical (or in this
case semi-technical phrase) -- especially when a simpler phrase already
exists; however, my gut feeling tells me that the majority of users
wouldn't be confused by "double-click". Besides, if they aren't familiar
with "double-click" already, they will more than likely come across in
the near future. It might be in your best interest to introduce your
readers to a phrase that they will encounter quite often.

Here's an idea: why don't you parenthetically define double-click the
first time your readers come across it (assuming of course that they will
be reading from start to finish):

1. Double-click (click twice) foobar.

I hope this helps.

Ray