Re: Platform of choice

Subject: Re: Platform of choice
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 13:23:44 -0600

><snip>
>I'm not particularly dogmatic about it - my home box uses Win95. But
>EVERY "groundbreaking" feature in Windows was implemented first in
>either NeXTStep, OS/2 or MacOS. ActiveX? Gimme a break, they
>piggybacked on work that Sun's been doing for most of the decade!

Yet for some unfathomable reason neither NeXtStep, nor OS/2, nor MacOS
has had nearly the success, market share, or acceptance that Windows has
had (and still has). This despite their HUGE head start. Please
explain. If Sun's been doing it for years, shouldn't they be dictating
the 'de facto' OS standard?

Pioneering a technology is one thing. Developing it and bringing it
successfully to market is another. It looks like developing and
controlling the market in operating systems were IBM's, Sun's, Apple's,
and Next's to lose. They did!

Mike Wing