Re: "Space, the final frontier"

Subject: Re: "Space, the final frontier"
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:28:41 -0500

>This is a query about work environments, just because I'm interested in
>learning under what physical (environmental) conditions other tech writers
>(or communicators, if you will) find themselves employed. We've moved
>recently, and now work in 8 x 8 foot modular cubes, what we refer to as
>"pods," and we now call ourselves "pod people."

Ack! Ptui!

>If you have time, please describe your work area, including: home office or
>on-site,

Home office, most of the time. Occasionally have to suffer on site, if
client absotively posilutely insists.

>square feet,

12 ft x 14 ft
<sound of rusty gears grinding>
Uh---guess that's---um---140+28=168 sq. ft.

>natural light or lack thereof,

Corner room.
Windows on the east. Windows on the south.
Bright natural light from 9AM-4PM in fall/winter/spring. Aimable ceiling
lights, plus wall fixture and movable task lighting for summer, when the
oak and maple trees bush out.

>cubes/pods v. open
>spaces v. enclosed offices,

One big open room---big enough for a huge L-shaped desk, lateral files with
space on top for piles, bookcases, fax machine, 2 extra chairs, and a bunch
of plants. BUT, I have a door I can close when there is something else
going on in the house.

>quiet v. the din of phones ringing and people
>talking.

Veryvery quiet most of the time.
Home phone does NOT ring in office.
Usually, the only noises are the ones I -choose- at any given time
(radio, CDs, cats).

>If you have a "real office" (one with floor to ceiling walls and
>maybe even a door), does everyone in the company/office/unit have one, or
>are you special (because of seniority, supervision responsibilities,
>whatever)?

One person operation, here. Oh, my husband has his own study where he
prepares lesson plans, corrects paper, and tapes educational TV stuff for
his classes

>Do you find that your work space affects your output or morale?

YES!

>Or are you
>the kind who could do creative work in a busy railroad station, fumes and
>all, and not be negatively affected?

Hate distractions. Have trouble concentrating in an enclosed space with
other people's noise, even small body movements. Get stressed out when I
have to listen to large ventilation systems, elevator dings, doors
opening/closing, phones, conversations, file drawers sliding, footsteps,
etc.

OTOH, if I'm really fascinated with something, or totally involved in
problem-solving, I can submerse myself in my work under -any- conditions.
I've worked with my laptop computer in doctor's offices, airports, loading
docks, and crowded busses. Unfortunately I am easily bored, and can't
count on maintaining a consistant enough fascination level with most
projects. So---I control the environment instead.

>If you work from home, was the
>working environment part of your decision to contract? to telecommute?

Yes.

>Add any other work-environment info you'd like to share. Respond to me
>directly if you will, and if there's interest, I'll summarize to the list.
>
>Thanks for your time.
>
>Virginia Link
>Linkvi -at- mail -dot- state -dot- wi -dot- us

>to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands
>browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html

Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing/Document & website design/Publications planning

"I be thinkin that Ebonics be stupid."/Spike Lee