Re[2]: Platform of choice (very long) or, I Hate Holy Wars

Subject: Re[2]: Platform of choice (very long) or, I Hate Holy Wars
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:43:54 -0500

There are many good, factual reasons for choosing one system over another.
But there were a couple of whoppers which appeared recently which roused me
to take issue with them.

Motorola and IBM no longer going to produce PowerPC chips.

This, I'm sure, comes as a big surprise to Motorola at the very least, who
is making a ton of money producing those very chips, with confirmed orders
amounting to at least seven figures (in units, not dollars). BTW, look
under the hood of your car. You stand a good (and the odds continue to
improve) chance of finding one there.

Computer chip news doesn't get reported well. I remember a story not too
long ago in Information Week. The story was about how both IBM and Motorola
were having little luck convincing anyone to buy their systems with Windows
NT pre-installed (95+% of their customers were wanting either the MacOS or
one of several Unix variants) so they decided they would no longer offer
Windows NT as an option for their customers, due to this lack of demand.
The Microsoft spokesman quoted in the story said that NT for the PowerPC
would still be available from them (MS) for those customers who wanted to
run it. The story's headline? "PowerPC loses NT support." I wonder if the
headline writer actually *read* the story???

Microsoft declining to port Windows NT to the Mac.

Since NT *already* runs on the PowerPC Reference Platform machines (see
above) and since Apple is heading the Mac for that design spec, due later
this year, I think this is just another piece of bogosity masquerading as
fact.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224