Proper Netiquette

Subject: Proper Netiquette
From: Cathy Krusberg <ckberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 06:47:19 -0600

On 11 Feb 1997 09:53:35 -0600 "Dennis V. Callaghan"
<dcallaghan -at- sungard -dot- com> said:

>Some weeks ago, there was a thread on this list about proper
>netiquette. A recent posting has made me think of some netiquette that
>I wish everyone on this list would follow. Is it just me or do others
>find anonymous postings, postings which are neither signed nor include
>a name in the address line, annoying?

Another good reason for putting at least a valid e-mail
address into the body of a post is that not all mailers
display the same information. On some systems, e-mail
that comes from a discussion list (such as techwr-l)
has a "from" line that gives only the list address -- not
the original poster. People using such systems cannot
respond via private e-mail to anyone who omits a valid
e-mail address from the body of the message.

>I personally don't want to respond to
>messages when I have no idea who or to what organization I'm
>responding to.

On the Internet, no one knows that you're a dog. ;-)
Seriously, I'm not so concerned about that aspect,
because chances are against a psycho making a post
that I'll be inclined to respond to -- particularly
on a "dry" forum like techwr-l. (Sh! I know it's not
really dry here, but that can be our little secret, OK?)
I respond to posts based on their content, even if the
poster signs him/her/itself "The Great Zucchini" and is
using an AOL account. (Joke, joke! But I've seen posts
by people who refuse to respond to mail from AOL accounts.
Really!)

>Does this make sense?

Yup.

Cathy Krusberg
Internet: ckberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (freelance)