Re: How not to attract staff!

Subject: Re: How not to attract staff!
From: Pete Kloppenburg <pkloppen -at- CERTICOM -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 15:36:14 -0500

Geoff Hart writes:
> From a recent post to the list, in which Alias/Wavefront
> was seeking technical writers: <<Looking for a comfortable
> 9-5 workday, light work load, no stress? Look elsewhere.
> But if you want to create technical documentation you can
> be proud of, read on.>>
> Is it just me, or is this an invitation to trash the
> message without reading further?
> Maybe another coffee (or a quick Dilbert fix) would help me
> understand this ad...

Geoff, I'm not sure you're familiar with Alias/Wavefront or their
products. A/W is an extremely big name in animation, within
the software industry and more famously in the movie industry.

A/W is the company that provided the software to do some of
the most amazing digital effects going these days, including,
if I'm not mistaken, the morphing effects in "Terminator 2".

So, basically, they're looking for the propeller heads who peak
over that kind of stuff, and are more than happy to spend 12 hours
a day at it. These guys are truly cutting edge, and look to remain
so for the next few years at least. It's my guess that the ad
was intentionally written that way to discourage all but the
keenest of applicants.

So, yeah, you're right. It IS an invitation not to read any further.
But probably not an unconscious one.

Pete Kloppenburg
Technical Writer
Certicom Corp