Re[2]: How not to attract staff!

Subject: Re[2]: How not to attract staff!
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:34:02 -0500

> From a recent post to the list, in which <name witheld>
> was seeking technical writers: <<Looking for a comfortable
> 9-5 workday, light work load, no stress? Look elsewhere.
> But if you want to create technical documentation you can
> be proud of, read on.>>

So, basically, they're looking for the propeller heads who peak over
that kind of stuff, and are more than happy to spend 12 hours a day
at it. These guys are truly cutting edge, and look to remain
so for the next few years at least. It's my guess that the ad
was intentionally written that way to discourage all but the keenest
of applicants.

I think you're missing Geoff's point (or else *I* did). The biggest problem
I had with the ad wasn't the reference to the hours. There have been many
occasions where the folks coming in a little early have seen me on the way
out, wearing the same clothes they left me wearing yesterday, as I dashed
home for a quick change and breakfast.

But what really offended me about the ad was the explicit assumption that
unless you turned in absurd hours under loads of stress, you couldn't be
doing anything you could be proud of. *That's* the problem I had with it.

I know stress happens. I know it can be necessary to work long hours to
meet a deadline, for many reasons that aren't related to incompetance.
Windows of business opportunity close quickly and don't co-ordinate their
timing with any human. Chaos and stress can happen alongside quality. But
that ad evokes in my mind a group of junkies, who have become so addicted
to the adrenaline pumping through their system that, just like addicts of
other drugs, they sincerely believe they can't do a good job on their own,
without the crutch.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224