Revisiting Web Tools

Subject: Revisiting Web Tools
From: Mary McCauley-Stiff <Mary_McCauley-Stiff -at- STRATUS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 11:49:20 -0500

I posted this to the techwr-l newsgroup, not realizing at first that it
would only reach the techwr-l newgroup readers and not the other
for the double-post.

- Mary
Mary_McCauley-Stiff -at- stratus -dot- com
_______________________
Hello,

I am interested in hearing what tools tech writers are using to create
HTML-based help. Currently I am using FrontPage 1.1 to manage
my HTML-based help. I am *somewhat* satisfied with it, but have heard
about NetObjects Fusion and LiveWire and am wondering if anyone has any
experience with those.

I am not interested in just an HTML editor...I need something to help me

manage the project, which is why I mentioned the above projects.

Here is some background information on what I am doing:

- I need to create HTML 2.0 help for a stand-alone java application. We
are presenting the HTML in an HTML viewer (a product called
"jHelp," written in java). This HTML viewer only reads HTML 2.0 at this
time. (As an option, our users can view the HTML in a browser if they
have one installed.)

- I do not need Winhelp files, so using RoboHELP to generate HTML-based
help isn't feasible for me. Also, I don't think it makes sense to use a
word-processor or desktop publisher HTML converter, since I don't need
Word or Frame docs in addition to the HTML.

- Because the HTML viewer we are using only interprets HTML 2.0 (and a
tiny amount of 3.2 features), I need as "pure" HTML as I can get.
Therefore, I cannot use Microsoft or Netscape HTML-based help
development environments because the HTML viewer doesn't support their
extensions.

I am very interested in what people are doing out there in regards to
HTML-based help. I can continue to use FrontPage, but I don't like the
feeling that there may be something better out there I don't know about.

I know there was a discussion on web management tools some months ago,
but I feel enough time as gone by to revisit this subject since new
products/versions have been released.

You can contact me at: Mary_McCauley-Stiff -at- stratus -dot- com

Thanks,
Mary