Different idea about the job ad not attracting people

Subject: Different idea about the job ad not attracting people
From: Jeanette Sainten <jeanettes -at- MDLI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 13:02:10 -0800

Hello,

Some technically talented people specifically look for start-up companies
with
a few brilliant, like-minded people who work in synergy. These people work
night and day to produce their first products and get them to market before
any competition can.

Their hope is to make it really, really, really big. These people are going
for
pay-offs of millions within a year or two. Either the start-up will go
public
and their compensation is in stock options. Or the start-up will be
purchased
by a bigger company and the compensation is in stock.

I don't think the policy has anything to do with being a workaholic or
having
a corporate culture that takes your overtime for granted or even with poor
managment. Following hackers hours, however, does limit "having a life".

When I read the ad, I thought it was one of those start-up situations. I
think
their implication that you can only produce good work under pressure was
just an overstatment/error/humor/shock value.

Jeanette