Re: Unpaid Overtime

Subject: Re: Unpaid Overtime
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 15:59:25 -0600

Colleagues,

Do we swallow camels and choke on gnats again? Some seem to believe that
the 40-hour week is all they are required to put in without added
compensation. Throughout my career, I have worked for employers who were
either quite lenient or quite strict about overtime. But in no case was the
occasional casual get-the-ox-out-of-the-ditch overtime ever paid. As a
professional staffer, I was expected to do what was expected to get the job
done. With some employers I have had, scheduled overtime was always paid
overtime. With others, including one in aerospace, I was owned by the
company 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. No overtime pay ever--even when
proposals required all-nighters.

My advice is simple. If working conditions become intolerable, leave. In
one job, I worked 6 weeks before putting my resume out. But I stayed with
the job until I found another. Mortgages, utility bills, grocery bills,
orthodontist bills, etc. have an ugly way of recurring each month.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com