Re: Resumes

Subject: Re: Resumes
From: Hank Stanley <arjohns -at- ADNC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 08:34:04 -0800

At 08:06 AM 2/20/97 -0600, Tim Altom wrote:
>My own opinion about resumes is perhaps a radical one, but I'll toss it out
>anyway: they're usually evidence that an applicant hasn't done his/her
>homework and isn't top of the line. Not always. I'll look at one. But not
>very hard.

I don't think you hire a lot of tech writers that way, Tim.
You've got to start with a baseline upon which to build and, IMHO, the
resume is it. I can't make the assumption that someone has conjured up the
descriptions of their background and experience out of thin air. If they
have, that will become all too evident at the interview, which is where the
real revelations occur.
If I can "word-of-mouth network" with a club or membership organization,
that's a plus that I welcome, but I certainly don't limit myself to only
that avenue. I don't mind conducting interviews when I'm searching for a
professional peer who has introduced him/herself with a resume.

Regards,

Hank Stanley