Re: Interview question

Subject: Re: Interview question
From: "Eric Haddock, QP" <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:26:16 -0600

> an
> interviewee should always answer such questions with a "false positive,"

I disagree with your mom's idea of misleading the interviewer. If I were asked
the weakness question in an interview, I would answer as honestly as I could for
two reasons: I respect honesty and am honest myself, and I would respect the
interviewer enough to give an honest answer--especially if this person would be
my boss later on. I also, in my eternally optimistic self, would hope that
the interviewer would respect me for being so honest.
What if I gave weakness X as my answer--but another writer had that as a
strength? We'd be great together and if teamed, we'd get lots of things done.
That would be best for everyone. I might even learn how to get over weakness X,
who knows? What if I have the same weakness a couple other writers have? Well,
I'm not going to learn how to overcome it by example, that's for sure, so perhaps
it's better that I don't work there (everything else being equal).

If I were asking the question, I wouldn't want to know anything personal, just
what professional weakness the person has. _Every_one has _something_ weighing
them down. If we didn't, then we'd all be robots. I'd want to know what the
person's weakness is so I would know where to put her if hired.

--
Regards from beautiful Wisconsin! :)

Me -> http://www2.pitnet.net/moonlion mailto:moonlion -at- full-moon -dot- com
Work -> http://www.engagenet.com mailto:eric -at- engagenet -dot- com