Re: Cost of Professional Memberships and Overdone Metaphors

Subject: Re: Cost of Professional Memberships and Overdone Metaphors
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- TC -dot- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:51:00 MST

You're losing some depth in this discussion. Try this set of binoculars. ;-)

In addition to society memberships, other professionals may have additional
expences (licensing, malpractice insurance, diagnostic equipment)...

Say--are we comparing apteryx and orangutans here?

Bill Burns
Technical Writer
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Re: Cost of STC
Date: Saturday, February 22, 1997 4:16PM

>Colleagues,
>
>Please invert your telescope. You are looking through the wrong end. I
have
>seen numerous comments about the high cost of STC membership. Relative to
>other professional societies, the STC dues schedule is moderate. It is
>certainly in line with dues for the engineering societies. If you don't
>believe that STC dues are reasonable, check the cost of IABC or PRCA. Even
>the local nurses' association has dues higher than STC ($145/year the last
>time I checked).
>
>Dan Wise

Dan;

You may be looking in the correct end of the telescope; however, you're
pointing it at the wrong target;^) I believe that the point was
relating the cost of STC to a personal budget. $100 + event charges
(such as meals) is $100 or more regardless of what Nurses, Engineers,
Doctors, or Janitors pay to their cartels! If I can only afford 100k
for a house and the house I'm interested in is 125k, what do I care if
the other houses are all over 200k?

Mike Wing