Re: Typoz in Resumes

Subject: Re: Typoz in Resumes
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:15:27 PST

Here are some general observations about the resume thread:

Publishing houses have always used copy-editors and proofreaders to detect
errors, on the grounds that insisting that the writers and compositors
detect their own mistakes doesn't work.

As a manager, I realize that having the writer proofread his own work
accomplishes very little, while having someone else do it accomplishes
a great deal. Thus, I simply don't care whether a writer's resume has
a few typos in it. It's not indicative of anything.

There are people who opine that a resume is a super-ultra-important
document that must be absolutely perfect, and that anyone with the
temerity to produce one that isn't perfect is a fool. Speaking as someone
who has read thousands of resumes (hundreds of them from established
writers), let me assure you that this point of view is nonsense. There
aren't any perfect resumes out there. There are very few workmanlike ones.
A resume that toes its marks and says its line is a standout, even if it
stutters once or twice. Eric would screen such a resume out, but such
a resume is exactly what I'm looking for.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139