What a doozy!

Subject: What a doozy!
From: Documania <dcma -at- MAIL1 -dot- NAI -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:37:57 -0500

At 04:55 PM 2/24/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Carolyn,
>
> All of these parties need to know spelling, grammer,
> and punctuation, as well as more sophisticated elements of
> the language.
>
>I agree with every statement you made! But I wonder why you don't
>spell grammar correctly. Hope that lapse helps you see that errors in
resumes sometimes do happen and they are not proof that the
>applicant fails to take our profession seriously.
>
>We all try very hard but none of us is perfect all the time.
>Unfortunately! :-)
>
>Regards,
>SueAnn

SueAnn--

Good catch!

That typo makes supports both of our cases very well. Yours, as above;
mine, as follows:

My posting was typed late in a long day and glanced over once, not intently
proofread or even spellchecked. I was more interested in content than
details; more interested in finishing my task. In other words, I rushed my
job out the door, not caring about its professional image.

Result? I embarrassed myself and injured my credibility.

I didn't intend this result, but it serves as a good object lesson! So
good, in fact, that I will cc our exchange to the list. Might as well, I
will probably be bombarded with messages today pointing out the goof and
all the other flaws in my argument.

On the Copyediting list recently, there was a good discussion about slaying
the perfection dragon. I agree that there comes a point when you just have
to leave something alone. But if you're trying to convince a potential
employer that you'll knock yourself out in the pursuit of quality
documentation, you ought to start with your resume, which is a lot easier
to polish than a 500-page technical manual!

Carolyn