Re: SME Flee, We Tree He

Subject: Re: SME Flee, We Tree He
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:15:20 PST

Melissa writes:

>Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do when you're
>faced with a difficult SME situation?

In any properly networked company, you open up the design files from
the comfort of your own workstation, and answer the questions directly.

If that doesn't work, you make an appointment with the SME.

In some situations, threatening to grandstand will work. "If I don't
get an answer today, I'm going to literally camp out in your office.
I've got a cot, a sleeping bag, and a big cooler full of food all ready
to go."

Having your manager beat up his manager is a time-honored technique,
though not very effective.

Standing up in a project meeting and saying, "The manual has slipped
indefinitely, as I cannot get crucial information from Engineering, or
even a commitment as to when I will receive crucial information." I love
doing this. Always have a complete list of what you want, and make
sure that the SME has two or three copies already.

If that doesn't work, I recommend standing up at a project meeting and
saying, "I still can't get crucial information. I'm going to recommend
that I be reassigned, and that the documentation for this project be
canceled." It might not work for you, but I love trumping the expectation
that you be a silent martyr by playing the hard-nosed businessman card.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139