Re: SME Instranigence

Subject: Re: SME Instranigence
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 07:57:42 PST

>When you have tried every trick in the book, but still cannot get the
>information you need, what do you do?

I would put the word "DRAFT" on every page, and have a preface that
says, "This document is presented in draft form. It has not received a
thorough technical review."

That's it, you're done.

You see, you are not a one-stop doc shop -- you are part of a documentation
PROCESS, which necesarily has other players. (This is the cricial point
at which I differ with the "no typos in resumes" crowd. Resumes are
necessarily produced without several crucial production steps, and must
thus be considered to be drafts. Documentation is a process -- exhorting
writers to be perfect when critical steps are absent is an example of
bad management at its most blatant. But I digress.) The document cannot be
finished without a technical review. If a technical review is not
forthcoming, you have no choice but to (a) not publish the document, or
(b) publish the document but make its unfinished status clear to the
reader.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139