Software Industry Survey

Subject: Software Industry Survey
From: BrYan Westbrook <westbrok -at- HSNP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:47:01 GMT

I am writing a report for new technical writers who want to enter the
software industry. I have gathered stats and other data, but would like to
get some personal input for those already working in the field. If you can
spare the time, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. (Please send
replies to me at westbrok -at- hsnp -dot- com rather than to the list.)

How much need is there for technical writers in the software industry?

What types of documents do they write?

What training is necessary?

What writing skills are needed?

Computer skills?

Layout skills?

Management skills?

Is a degree necessary?

What are the working conditions?

How does one find a job?

How much opportunity is there for telecommuting?

How would you judge industry growth?

Is most work permanent or contract?

Is most work done solo or as part of a team?

Thank you for your time.