Re: Typos in resumes

Subject: Re: Typos in resumes
From: John Posada <jposada -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 12:36:36 -0500

>> I confess to being rather irritated at the presumption that
>>you can legitimately exclude someone from consideration
>>because of one or two typos in their resume. A few telling
>>reasons:
>>
>>- Did you look the words up in a good dictionary to be sure
>>they actually were typos? Speaking with my editor's hat
>>firmly in place, I have little faith in the ability of most
>>technical writers to reliably spot typos. That's why God
>>created editors. (This isn't a flame, though I expect it to
>>attract flames... it's a simple observation.)

Geoff...There's a difference between the application of complex specialized
word and careless errors. When I object to typos, they are obvious typos.
Example...I received a resume from someone and above the name and address was
the word RESUNE. I assume that what the person actualy meant was RESUME. I
don't need an editor to spot things like that, do I?

John Posada
Central NJ Employment Manager - Technical Proposal Writer
STC - Bellcore
http://stc.org/region2/njc/ - (908) 699-5839

jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com (work)
http://www.bellcore.com (work)

jposada -at- injersey -dot- com (personal)
http://nj5.injersey.com/~jposada (personal)

"If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a
person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime."
Vice President Dan Quayle 10/13/92