Re: FW: [Fwd: FW: re virus alert (fwd)]

Subject: Re: FW: [Fwd: FW: re virus alert (fwd)]
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 15:04:27 -0500

>>>>> FCC WARNING !!!!! ----- DEEYENDA PLAGUES INTERNET ----

People, People, People!

We are technical communicators; shouldn't it be assumed that what we pass
on bears at least some semblance to truth? Have we heard of "fact
checking?"

Your first clue that this particular virus warning is a hoax is the phrase
quoted above. The FCC has never, nor will ever, get involved in computer
virus announcements. The canard that they have issued such a warning has
circulated so widely that they've even put out a press release stating that
fact:
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Miscellaneous/Public_Notices/pnmc5036.txt

What to do when you're handed a virus warning:

1) Check the source. No, I don't mean the person who sent it to you. I mean
the person or agency allegedly issuing the warning.

2) Check with CIAC (Computer Incident Advisory Capability, part of the
Department of Energy). CIAC signs all its bulletins electronically, and its
PGP key is available to validate any alleged CIAC bulletins you receive. A
list of known hoaxes is at http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html

3) Check the "Virus Myths" home page: http://kumite.com/myths/

Remember, "April Fool's day is less than a month away. Check the batteries
in your clue meter!"

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224