Re: Abbreviation Embarrassment

Subject: Re: Abbreviation Embarrassment
From: Dawn Langley <CDLangley -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 22:22:42 -0500

In a message dated 97-03-02 09:07:51 EST, bazzini -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM writes:

<< Finally, someone piped up and just plain asked, "What's an 'SME?'" A
handy
place to go and spare yourself sharing publicly the shame of not knowing
such cryptic things that run rampant in this industry and are spit out like
common language is the Acronym & Abbreviation List:>>

The real "shame in not knowing" is when we don't know better than to
criticize others for their questions. Technical writers should provide
answers, not criticism. Afterall, a huge part of this profession is "not
knowing" and discovering the unknown; I see little shame in that.

Dawn