Re: Psychic Targeting of Potential Employers

Subject: Re: Psychic Targeting of Potential Employers
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:40:59 -0600

Robert Plamondon wrote:

> Miki Magyar writes:
>
> > It's like Pascal's wager. The cost of being wrong is too high, assuming
> > you only send resumes to companies you really want to work for
>
> This is an interesting concept. You are asserting that one can determine
> in advance which companies one really wants to work for.

It's difficult, but not THAT hard. Read on.

> In my experience, unless you have some inside knowledge...Meanwhile,
> of course, all the up-and-coming companies are too obscure for you
> to have much of an opinion, one way or the other.

It's the "inside knowledge" that's important. Here in the Twin Cities,
the tech writing community is still small enough that you can usually
find someone that knows someone that works, or used to work, at almost
any given company. (Which brings us back to the Networking thread a few
weeks ago, and is one reason why my STC membership is so valuable).

Granted, with up-and-coming companies it's harder - many won't have tech
writers, or anyone else, that you know on staff. Hey, whaddya want, the
world? Life's a crapshoot.

MBerg