Re: What are the pros and cons of the winhelp tool you use?

Subject: Re: What are the pros and cons of the winhelp tool you use?
From: Mitch Berg <mberg -at- IS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:54:24 -0600

Ooops. I realize I wrote something very, very vague...

Susan W. Gallagher wrote:

> Mitch says that RH produces
> >Absolutely wretched print and online documentation.
> I've never tried to produce printed doc from RH files, but I
> routinely import print docs into RH for online docs. It's a
> breeze! I can convert a 300 page manual in to online docs in
> 3 or 4 days.

Whoops. What I meant to say was that the RoboHelp Users Guide and Online
Help themselves are, as of V3 (the only one I personally own) absolutely
awful. Hopefully they fixed them as of V4...

Susan's right - it's easy to import print materials into RH, and the
word files are simple to re-template and use for print release.

> >ForeHelp
> >Cons:
> * I missed the extensive editing capabilities of MS Word.
> FH is stand-alone and its editing and style capabilities
> are relatively primitive.
I meant to mention this: ForeHelp (along with HelpBreeze) both use
integral word processors, which don't stack up to Word in terms of raw
power. However, they DO work well enough...

> >DocToHelp
> >Cons:
> * Last time I tried to help someone who was using D2H, it broke
> every time you looked at it crosseyed (maybe a year ago).
Three years ago, I did an eval of the then-current version of D2H. Same
problem...